There are over 800 allotment plots across 11 different sites in Epsom and Ewell. Some of these are self-managed (i.e. run by their own associations, with council support).
A majority are available to rent from the council. Allotments are currently rented at a nominal charge per square metre and invoices are sent annually in mid-March.
Why have an allotment?
- Exercise - working an allotment gives you plenty of fresh air and healthy exercise.
- Stress relief – spending time outdoors an with others relives stress.
- Food source – cultivating an allotment provides an affordable source of fruit and vegetables.
- Socialise – getting together with fellow gardeners is a great way to socialise and make new friends. It’s the sort of activity that lends itself to co-operation and contact.
- Biodiversity – allotments provide a varied and valued habitat for wild plants and animals. They provide valuable green space within our towns and cities and make them more environmentally friendly, sustainable and attractive places to live. Education - Sites can help children learn about nature and how food is grown.
On every allotment site there are water facilities. Water is switched on at the start and off at the end of the season (normally late March and October respectively).
Toilets can be found at the following sites:
- Alexandra Road
- Epsom Common
- Kingston Road
- West Ewell
Insurance Individual plot holders may have public liability included in their household policy to cover their own risk whilst working on their plot or indeed any claim against the plot holder for negligence etc. Individual plot holders should check this out and not make any assumptions about how risks are covered and protected.
You can keep bees, chickens and rabbits if you wish. Cockerels are not allowed. Please refer though to the respective DEFRA, RSPCA and the British Beekeeping Association for further guidance regarding animal welfare.
Although we are supportive of keeping bees on allotment land, please make sure that you ask your immediate allotment plot neighbours if they don't mind you keeping bees. We may however be able to relocate you somewhere else on-site if need be.
The Allotment Officer will contact all surrounding plot holders, to see if they are willing to have bees sited next to them, before any hive is sited.
If you are an aspiring apiarist (keeper of bees) the Council requires that you:
- Attended a practical beekeeping course
- Have Public Liability Insurance in place
- Are a current member of a beekeeping association
Epsom Riding for the Disabled Association (Epsom RDA) are very happy for allotment owners to take away manure for a small donation. Please remember to bring a spade and bags so to take your manure away!
Address: Epsom RDA, St Ebbas Farm, Hook Road, Epsom KT19 8QW
Opening times: 7 days a week - 9am to 1pm (Saturdays open till 4pm)
Tel: 01372 743690
Epsom KT17 4EP
|Entrances at Wyeths Road and Bridle Road. Allotment appointments are always met from the Bridle Road entrances.|
Worcester Park KT4 7DP
|Located within Auriol Park, Salisbury Road. Additional entrances to park from Thorndon Gardens and Chestnut Avenue|
Epsom KT19 9HD
|Located 100 yards within Eleanor Avenue entrance. Additional entrance from Middleton Road.|
Ewell KT19 0DZ
|Entrance via footpath at the end of Ewell Court Avenue, Ewell|
Epsom KT19 8NE
|Entrance off Christ Church Road opposite Stamford Green Road|
|Hessle Grove (self-managed)
Ewell KT17 1JS
|Entrance at the end of Hessle Grove, off Epsom Road, Ewell|
|Kingston Road (self-managed)
Ewell KT17 2ER
|Located at 'Beggars Hill', Ewell opposite Shortcroft Road|
Epsom KT18 7SB
|Located off Wheelers Lane, Epsom adjacent to railway line|
|Park Avenue West (self-managed)
Stoneleigh KT17 2NU
|Entrance from Park Avenue West opposite Ewell Park Way in Stoneleigh|
Ewell KT19 9TA
|Entrances at the end of Plough Road (off Chessington Road), West Ewell or Northcroft Road/Bellfield Road junction. Allotment appointments are met at the Plough Road gate.|
|West Park (Privately managed)
Epsom KT19 8NX
|Located on West Park Road off Horton Lane, Epsom. Please contact Chamonix Estates Limited on 020 7100 6025|
If you have any issues on-site which need addressing, please contact us.