Licensing Act 2003

Licensing Act 2003

From 24 November 2005, the Licensing Act 2003 changed the law governing the types of licences held throughout England and Wales. There is now a Premises Licence, a single scheme for what is known as licensable activities, which includes the sale or supply of alcohol, the sale of hot drinks and/or food between 11pm and 5am (eat in or takeaway) and/or provision of regulated entertainment such as cinema, theatre, dancing and music.

Occasional and Temporary Events

Apply online for a Temporary Event Notice

If you wish to hold a one-off small event for less than 500 people, for example a School Fair or Charity Event, you must apply for a Temporary Event Notice (TEN). If you already hold a personal licence, you may apply for up to 50 TENs a year.  If you do not hold a Personal licence, you may apply for up to five TENs a year.  The Event can last for up to 168 hours.

Premises and club licences

Apply for a premises licence
Apply for a club premises licence

If you are a business selling alcohol or providing entertainment, you must obtain a premises licence from the Local Authority. Qualifying clubs are required to obtain a Club Premises Certificate which authorises the supply of alcohol to club members.

Link to view current Licensing Applications

Personal licence

Apply for a personal licence

Renewals of licences are no longer necessary. If you wish to sell or authorise the sale of alcohol, at a licensed premises you will be required to obtain a personal licence. Personal licences will be granted to persons over 18 years of age who have the relevant licensing qualification and are without a relevant criminal record. Personal licences remain valid unless surrendered, suspended, revoked or declared forfeit by the courts.

Statement of Licensing Policy

Under the Licensing Act 2003, we are required to publish a Statement of Licensing Policy with regard to the undertaking of its licensing functions.



File LICENSING ACT 2003 POLICY 2018.docx1011.71 KB