Dangerous wild animals

Dangerous wild animals - do I need a licence?

If you intend to purchase a dangerous wild animal to keep at home, you should first obtain a licence to do so. Licences are issued under provisions of the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976, and are renewable annually.

The premises and accommodation must satisfy basic standards for the health, welfare and safety of the animals that you intend to keep. We will arrange a veterinary surgeon's inspection to ensure that the accommodation is suitable.

The licence will be issued subject to compliance with licence conditions and payment of the licence fee. Please find our fees here: Dangerous wild animals fees.

How do I apply?

Please contact us for an application form which will need to be completed and returned together with a copy of your Public Liability Insurance policy and the fee to the Town Hall, The Parade, Epsom, KT18 5BY.  You will also be required to pay the costs incurred by the veterinary surgeon's inspection and will be invoiced for this separately.