Applying for benefits

From 24 October 2018 people of working age must claim Universal Credit instead of Housing Benefit. See our page Claiming Universal Credit to find out more.

With effect from 1 April 2021 our Council Tax Support scheme will end for people of working age. You should instead apply for the new Council Tax Income Discount based on your financial circumstances.

If you are a pensioner or you live in Supported Accommodation (where the landlord is a housing association, charity or voluntary organisation) or temporary homeless accommodation and wish to claim Housing Benefit you must fill in an application form and send it to us. As this is a combined claim form, we will also consider whether you are entitled to Council Tax Support if you are a pensioner, or up until 31 March 2021 if you are working age.

To claim Council Tax Support only, you must complete a Council Tax Support application form and send it to us. Our address is on the form. If you are working age any entitlement to Council Tax Support will end after 31 March 2021 as this scheme is closing for those of working age. If you wish to apply for a Council Tax discount based on your financial circumstances from 1 April 2021, you should apply for a Council Tax Income Discount.

You can either download and print the claim form or contact us by emailing and we will send you one by post.

Before filling in the application form please read the notes within the form carefully.

Make sure you complete and return the form immediately when you realise you need help to pay your rent and/or Council Tax, as benefit is normally paid from the Monday after the first indication of a wish to claim.

If you haven't got all the evidence we ask for in support of your claim, send whatever you have got to us with the form straightaway. You can send the rest in within one calendar month.

We will write to you for any further information we need.

Do not delay in returning the form, even if you are waiting for documents, as this will affect the date from which we can pay you.