The Council is legally required to maintain a Register of previously developed sites within the borough, which are available and potentially suitable for residential led development. All sites must meet the definition of ‘previously developed land’ as set out in the National Planning Policy Framework.
The preparation of the Brownfield Land Register is governed by The Town and Country Planning (Brownfield Land Register) Regulations 2017. The Government has published a series of frequently asked questions to help people understand their purpose and how they operate.
All sites must meet the following criteria:
- Be at least 0.25 hectares or capable of supporting at least 5 dwellings:
- Suitable for residential development: this means the site either has been allocated in a local development plan document for residential use, has planning permission for residential use or is considered by the local authority to be appropriate for residential use.
- Available for residential development: this means that there is no impediment to development in terms of either ownership issues or legal constraints on the land
- Residential development is achievable: the site is likely to be developed within 15 years of being entered on the register
The Register can be kept in two parts:
- Part 1 comprises all brownfield sites that meet the above criteria
- Part 2 comprises those sites that the Council deem suitable to be granted ‘permission in principle’ for residential development
The Council has compiled Part 1 of the register. This will be updated at least once a year. The most recent update was carried out in December 2019
It should be noted that the inclusion of a site on Part 1 of the Register does not give any formal status, grant permission in principle (PIP) or infer that a site may be allocated in the Local Plan or granted planning permission.
This data is provided under the Open Government Licence
The Council is currently updating the Register for December 2020. If you have a site which you wish to be considered for inclusion on the Register, please complete the following form by 1 December 2020.