Universal Credit

Administered by the Department for Work and Pensions, Universal Credit helps with living costs if you are below pension age and on a low income or not in work.

Universal Credit makes one monthly payment to you and replaces the following benefits:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Income Support
  • Job Seekers Allowance (Income Based)
  • Employment and Support Allowance (Income Related)

From 24 October 2018 the large majority of residents of this borough below pension age wanting to make a new claim for the above benefits will claim Universal Credit instead.

For those people already receiving the above benefits, a change in their circumstances may mean they have to claim Universal Credit instead. For details of these changes please see Moving to Universal Credit.

The Department for Work and Pensions have posted several clips on their youtube channel explaining about Universal Credit and how to claim. You can view these by following this link: DWP youtube channel. DWP also have information on the following websites:



For other sites offering information and advice, search for 'Universal Credit' on:




Claims for Universal Credit are made online. If you need assistance using computers to make your claim you can contact Epsom Job Centre or the council's Benefit Section.

If you need an advance on your entitlement prior to your first payment of Universal Credit, help budgeting your monthly payment or want some of your Universal Credit paid to your landlord you should contact your Work Coach at the Job Centre.

If you receive Universal Credit but are struggling to pay your rent, you can find out about additional help we may be able to offer you by visiting our page on discretionary payments.

Rosebery Housing Association tenants can request help with their Universal Credit by calling 01372 814000 and speaking to their tenancy sustainment officers.