Weekly food waste recycling
Leave your bins out in a clearly visible place at the edge of your property by 6.30am on collection day. we work as normal on bank holiday Mondays and Good Friday. What if a collection is missed?
For all food waste, cooked or uncooked, such as meat, fish, vegetables, bones, plate scrapings. NO BULK LIQUIDS PLEASE such as soup or milk. NO PACKAGING.
You can line your food caddy with plastic bags if you like. Why is it OK to use plastic bags to line your food waste bin, but not to recycle plastic bags in your green mixed recycling bin?
DON'T put your food in your big, green mixed recycling bin. It can't be separated from the other stuff, and ruins the rest of the recycling. Right thing, right bin.
Helping you to recycle your food waste
We supply silver kitchen caddies free of charge. Or you can use your own if you prefer a different design.
You can line your kitchen caddy with plastic bags or plastic liners (please note we do not supply liners, but these are widely available in supermarkets and other shops). Why is it OK to use plastic bags to line your kitchen caddy, but not to recycle them in your green mixed recycling bin?
Quick guide to recycling
What if the Council can't recycle it?
Please don't recycle:
- Bulk liquids like large amounts of milk or soup. This is because it's difficult and messy for our staff to handle
- Packaging. You can line your bin or caddy with a plastic bag or liner. But do not recycle other packaging in this bin. Recycle cardboard, and some plastics.
- Simple tips to reduce food waste
- Recycling out and about
- Can I have an extra bin?
- Help for the disabled or elderly
- What happens to my recycling?
- Learn more about recycling and waste