Adverts and signs

If you want to display an advertisement or sign you may need our consent before you can display it. The website has more information about advertising

To obtain consent to put up an advertisement or sign you will need to apply to us. You can obtain the application form from the Planning Portal. In addition to the completed application form, illustrative plans and drawings are required and you will have to pay the appropriate charge for the advertisement application. For further information see the links below.

Illegal advertisements

The display of an advertisement, or the use of an advertisement site without our consent is illegal. We can bring a prosecution in the Magistrates' Court for an offence under section 224 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990. But, unless an offence is especially blatant or repeated, we may not initially consider it necessary to prosecute for an advertisement offence. Instead, we may invite the advertiser to remove the advertisement or apply for consent. If consent is refused, there is a right of appeal to the Secretary of State. has further details about unauthorised advertisements including fly-posting, on their website.