Setting up a food businesses

Setting up a food business

If you are starting a new food business, there are several issues to consider:

  • you may need to obtain planning permission
  • you may need to register as a food business
  • your premises must comply with food safety standards,
  • the business will be inspected by our Environmental Health Officers.

A leaflet has been produced called Setting up a new food business. If you are using your home as your business premises then this will have to comply with the same food safety regulations.  Guide to Catering from Home .

All food handlers (anyone who handles or prepares food, whether unwrapped or packaged) will need to be supervised and instructed and/or trained in food hygiene matters. Visit the food hygiene training pages for information on courses and training. Remember that it will be your responsibility to comply with all the legislation. Further information on food hygiene and safety is available:

Food Standard Agency  

Chartered Institute of Environmental Health 

Registering your food business

We must register all food businesses at least 28 days before they open for business. Registration of premises including restaurants, shops, cafes, warehouses, market stalls, delivery vehicles and other moveable structures is compulsory, free of charge, and it enables our officers to inspect them and give advice to food business operators. Once you have registered with us you only need notify us of:

  • a change of proprietor
  • if the nature of the business changes
  • or if there is a change of the address at which a moveable premises are kept.

For a new food business establishment the proprietor will have to complete the following form:

Complete a   registration form:

Legislation requires food businesses to provide allergy information on food sold unpackaged, for example in catering outlets, bakeries and sandwich bars.  There have been changes to existing legislation on labelling allergenic ingredients in prepacked foods.  A leaflet has been developed to help businesses meet these requirements.
Allergy Labelling leaflet.

A leaflet has been devised by the Food Standards Agency to provide guidance on the provision of food in a village hall or other community setting.  The guidance should help clarify which food operations carried out in these venues require registration.

Food and Village Halls Guidance

Advisory leaflets