Frequently asked questions

Current guidance

What is the latest guidance from the government?

You can find all the latest information and guidance on the government website: Use the postcode checker to check the alert level in your local area at any time. 

What are the rules on self-isolation?

Information on when to self-isolate, what to do, and rules for people you've been in contact with can be found on the NHS website.

I am self-isolating and cannot work, how do I get a £500 support payment?

You might be able to get a payment of £500 if you’re on a low income and meet these conditions. More information on claiming financial support under the Test & Trace Support Payment scheme can be found on the GOV UK website.

Is there guidance available in other languages?

Public Health England have produced a number of information posters which you can download, available in multiple languages. 


Where can I get a vaccine?

You can book and manage your COVID-19 vaccine on the NHS website or by calling 119. You can also attend a pop-up vaccination clinic (no appointment needed).

Where can I find advice about the COVID-19 vaccination?

Information about the vaccine can be found on the NHS and GOV UK websites. A new website designed to help the public answer questions about the Covid-19 vaccine launched this week. Covid Vax Facts details answers from expert, independent doctors and scientists about the most common concerns raised by the public. 


How do I get a COVID Pass and what is it?

The NHS COVID Pass lets you share your coronavirus (COVID-19) vaccination records or test COVID-19 status in a secure way. You can access your NHS COVID Pass through the free NHS App on a mobile device such as a smartphone or tablet. Proof of your COVID-19 status will be shown within the NHS App. The NHS App is not the same as the NHS COVID-19 app. For more information about the NHS COVID-19 Pass, please visit this page on GOV UK

Why hasn’t my app updated to reflect new guidance?

The majority of Apple and Android users have their apps set to ‘automatic updates’ so their NHS COVID-19 App will automatically update to reflect this change. However, for the small number of users that do not have updates automated they will need to go to their settings, as they would for other apps, to manually update the App. Detailed instructions are available in this FAQ document from the NHS.

Symptoms and testing

What are the symptoms and when should I get a test?

The NHS has an up to date list of coronavirus symptoms and you can check to see if you or your child has coronavirus symptoms online.

If you have symptoms, get a test as soon as possible. You need to get the test done in the first 8 days of having symptoms. You must stay at home until you get the result.

Get a free NHS test to check if you have coronavirus

Council services

Are council services running as normal?

For a complete list of service status updates, please see this page on our website. For daily updates on waste collections and recycling, please check this page.

Is the Epsom Community Recycling Centre running as normal?

For full updates about Epsom Community Recycling Centre, please visit this page on Surrey County Council’s website.

Can you help me with my shopping and collecting my prescription?

The council offers a range of support services. To enquire about our Meals at Home and our Shopping Service, please use this online form.

For prescriptions, we advise that you first check whether your local pharmacy offers a free prescription delivery service.

In emergency circumstances where a friends of family member cannot deliver food or prescriptions to you, please contact the Surrey Community Helpline on 0300 2001 008 or complete the help request form on the Surrey County Council website.

Council tax

Are you offering support if I cannot pay my Council Tax due to COVID-19?

Epsom & Ewell Borough Council is not deferring payment of Council Tax. Depending on the circumstances of the individual we are providing the following advice.

Anyone who is experiencing financial hardship during this period and is uncertain if they can pay their council tax is being advised to email

You can explain their circumstances so the Council can make decisions about council tax payments on an individual basis. For more information, please read our page on help with your Council Tax.

I always visit the Town Hall to pay my Council Tax, what can I do now?

We have a variety of ways to pay your Council Tax.


Someone in my business has tested positive or been contacted by Test & Trace, what should I do?

For full guidance, please see NHS Test and Trace in the workplace. This guidance covers what to do if you or someone you employ is required to self-isolate, including being contacted by NHS Test and Trace, self-isolation rules and financial support.

Venues in certain sectors should continue to ask customers, visitors and staff to 'check in', to help stop the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19). You may also want to read guidance on maintaining records of staff, customers and visitors to support NHS Test and Trace.

In the event of an outbreak in the workplace, employers should contact their local health protection team.

I cannot afford to pay my business rates - what can I do?

If you are experiencing financial difficulties and are unable to afford your business rates, you should contact us immediately on our email address

Where can I find information about business support and grants that are available?

For discounts and relief, please visit this page on our website. For information on Business Grants 2020-21 please click here.


I want to help in my community, who can I contact?

Volunteering in the borough is being co-ordinated by Central Surrey Voluntary Action (CSVA) and information can be found on their website or by ringing 01372 722911.

Anything else

    Which local authority do I come under?

    To check which local authority your address comes under, please visit the GOV UK website to see where you pay your council tax. You can also use the ‘Where I Live’ function on the homepage of our website and select ‘My Maps’ for more information.

    How can I renew my parking permit?

    Please use our online service to renew your parking permit.