Stylesheets are not available for this website in your specific browser


Contact us online
Tel: 01372 732000
 07950 080202

Epsom & Ewell Borough Council
Town Hall
The Parade
KT18 5BY


Follow us onand

Epsom & Ewell Borough Council are responsible for identifying and dealing with any vehicle that has been abandoned on the public highway within the borough. Any reported vehicle will be inspected within 24 hours with appropriate checks being made to determine whether it has been abandoned. If we do determine the vehicle has been abandoned, it will be removed within a further 24 hours.

If the vehicle is burnt out or considered to be in a dangerous condition due to vandalism, it will be removed immediately under the Clean Neighbourhood Environment Act 2005. Please be aware that we may on certain occasions, consider taxed vehicles having been abandoned.

If the vehicle is on private land, Epsom & Ewell Borough Council will still assist and help to try to get the vehicle moved on. A 15-day Notice of Removal can be placed on the vehicle by the Council. A quicker process however, is where the land owner or occupier, gives permission in writing for Epsom & Ewell Borough Council to remove the vehicle. Once received, the vehicle can be removed by the Council immediately.

From 1 October 2014, the paper tax disc ceased being issued. However vehicle tax still needs to be paid. The DVLA keep a digital record on whether vehicle tax has been paid. You can check whether a vehicle is actually taxed, by using the DVLA's Vehicle Enquiry Service

If the vehicle is being used, but is not taxed, it is therefore not abandoned. An untaxed vehicle can be reported to the DVLA via the Department of Transport's web page Report an Untaxed Vehicle. Alternatively, you can call the DVLA's nearest compound (Croydon) on 03300 087514. If a vehicle is registered as SORN (Statutory Off Road Notice) and parked on the highway or being used, the DVLA would welcome your call.

If the vehicle is parked illegally you should report it to us, but if it is causing an obstruction, you should report it to Surrey Police. Their main telephone number is 101 or (if this does not work on your phone) 01483 571212. You can also report it via the Surrey Police website.

Please use the Council's online webpage Reporting Abandoned Vehicles or telephone Customer Services on 01372 732000.

page updated: Sunday, 27 December 2015 © Epsom & Ewell Borough Council 2016