To determine whether the Building Regulations are being complied with, a number of Approved Documents have been published by the Secretary of State (or a body designated by them) that are intended to provide practical guidance on any of the requirements contained in the Building Regulations. There is at least one Approved Document for each of the requirements contained in Schedule 1 of the Building Regulations.
The legal status of Approved Documents is given in Section 7 of the Building Act 1984. Whilst their use is not mandatory, where the provisions contained in the Approved Document have been followed they can be relied upon as meeting the requirements of the Building Regulations.
Where work has been carried out and the advice in the approved document has not been followed this does not necessarily mean that the work does not comply with the Building Regulations. Each case of apparent non-compliance will be looked at on its own merits to ascertain whether compliance is in fact being achieved. This approach to the Building Regulations is designed to allow innovative design to take place.
The Approved Documents can be purchased from Her Majesty’s Stationery Office (HMSO), together with the Building Regulations. Local libraries may also have copies available or they can be viewed at Epsom Town Hall by arrangement. Alternatively, they can be found on the Planning Portal.
The Approved Documents published are:
- Part A - Structure
- Part B - Fire safety - Volume 1 Dwelling Houses
- Part B - Fire safety - Volume 2 Buildings other than Dwelling Houses
- Part C - Site preparation and resistance to contaminants moisture
- Part D - Toxic substances
- Part E - Resistance to the passage of sound
- Part F - Ventilation
- Part G - Sanitation, hot water safety and water efficiency
- Part H - Drainage and waste disposal
- Part J - Combustion appliances and fuel storage systems
- Part K - Protection from Falling, Collision and Impact
- Part L1A - Conservation of fuel and power - New Dwellings
- Part L1B - Conservation of fuel and power - Existing Dwellings
- Part L2A - Conservation of fuel and power - New buildings other than dwellings
- Part L2B - Conservation of fuel and power - Existing buildings other than dwellings
- Part M - Access to and use of buildings
- Part N - Glazing - Safety in relation to Impact, Opening and Cleaning
- Part P - Electrical Safety-Dwellings
- Approved document to support regulation 7 : Materials and workmanship
- TRADA - Span tables for solid timber members for floors, ceilings and roofs in dwellings
- SAP 2009
- Manual to the Building Regulations.