Stylesheets are not available for this website in your specific browser


Contact us online
Tel: 01372 732000
 07950 080202

Epsom & Ewell Borough Council
Town Hall
The Parade
KT18 5BY


Follow us onand
We inspect food businesses in the Borough to ensure that conditions are satisfactory and that food sold to the public is safe and free from contamination.

We provide information to businesses and to members of the public to increase awareness of food safety, investigate reports of food poisoning and notifications of infectious diseases.

Much of our work involves the unannounced inspections of food businesses as well as dealing with complaints. To see how we plan to do this this year please see our service plan (pdf - 232kb).

Food Hygiene Training

The Council no longer runs training courses.  Details of training courses local to the area can be found at

Catering from Home

An increasing number of people are setting up home catering businesses. To assist with this process we have produced a guide aimed at those who wish to produce small volumes of food commercially. Guide to Catering from Home (pdf - 83kb).


If you have bought or seen food in the Borough that you consider to be contaminated, please contact us so that we can carry out an investigation.

More detailed information on how a food complaint is handled

Complaints concerning the quality, labelling and composition of food are dealt with by Surrey County Council's Trading Standards Department.

Approved Food Premises

If you operate certain types of food premises you may need to be approved by Epsom & Ewell Borough Council.

You should contact your Local Authority to see if you require approval for premises including:

  • meat processing plants
  • meat preparation plants
  • minced meat processing operations and mechanically separated meat
  • processing plants
  • cold stores.
Food Premises Registration

To store, prepare, distribute or sell food on a premises you need to be registered with the Local Authority. Premises include restaurants, cafes, hotels, shops, canteens, market stalls, mobile catering vans and food delivery vans. Some manufacturers handling products of animal origin may need to be approved by the Local Authority or the Meat Hygiene Service, rather than be registered. If you are uncertain whether your business needs to be approved or registered, contact your Local Authority.

Eligibility Criteria

No provision in legislation.

Regulation Summary

A summary of the regulation relating to the registration

Application Evaluation Process

No provision in legislation.

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

In relation to Approved Food Premises, no. It is in the public interest that the Local Authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the Local Authority within a reasonable period, please contact us. You can do this online if you applied through the Gov.UK website or use the contact details below.

In relation to Food Premises Registration, yes.This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the Local Authority by the end of the target completion period.

Apply online

The EU Services Directive took effect in late December 2009 with an aim to open up the European Internal Market to cross-border trade in services. There is a requirement for Local Authorities to make certain licensing processes available online.

An online portal, "EUGO", has been established so that service providers can source information with regards to doing business within Europe. In the UK, the portal is hosted by Gov.UK.

Link to EUGO

Apply for registration of a food business establishment
Tell us about a change to your existing food business establishment

Failed Application Redress

Please contact Epsom & Ewell Borough Council in the first instance.

Licence Holder Redress

Please contact Epsom & Ewell Borough Council in the first instance.

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Citizen's Advice will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other Redress

Please contact Epsom & Ewell Borough Council in the first instance.

Advisory leaflets

Guide to Catering from Home (pdf - 83kb)
Food Hygiene Training (pdf - 123kb)
Hygienic Production of Ice (pdf - 120kb)
Summer Eating (pdf - 160kb)
Turkey tips (pdf - 203kb)
Control of food hazards (pdf - 227kb)
Campylobacter bacteria (pdf - 130kb)
Salmonella food poisoning (pdf - 122kb)
Giardiasis Gastro Enteritis (pdf - 122kb)

Public Registers

Public Registers are available to view on request. An appointment to view can be made between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday. Please contact us to arrange a suitable time.

Further Information

Telephone: 01372 732000

External information sources

Chartered Institute of Environmental Health
DEFRA (Department for Environmental, Food and Rural Affairs)

Department of Health

Food Standards Agency

Health Protection Agency

Trading Standards Central

page updated: Thursday, 26 March 2015 © Epsom & Ewell Borough Council 2015