Stylesheets are not available for this website in your specific browser


Contact us online
Tel: 01372 732000
 07950 080202

Epsom & Ewell Borough Council
Town Hall
The Parade
KT18 5BY


Follow us onand
Licence summary

You must have an environmental permit if you operate a regulated facility in England or Wales.

A regulated facility includes:

  • installations or mobile plants carrying out listed activities 
  • waste operations
  • waste mobile plant
  • mining waste operations.

Listed activities include:

  • energy - burning fuel, gasification, liquification and refining activities
  • metals - manufacturing and processing metals
  • minerals - manufacturing lime, cement, ceramics or glass
  • chemicals - manufacturing chemicals, pharmaceuticals or explosives, storing chemicals in bulk
  • waste - incinerating waste, operating landfills, recovering waste
  • solvents - using solvents
  • other - manufacturing paper, pulp and board, treating timber products, coating, treating textiles and printing, manufacturing new tyres, intensive pig and poultry farming.

Listed activities are divided into three categories: Part A(1), Part A(2) and Part B.

Part A permits control activities with a range of environmental impacts, including:

  • emissions to air, land and water
  • energy efficiency
  • waste reduction
  • raw materials consumption
  • noise, vibration and heat
  • accident prevention.

Part B permits control activities which cause emissions to air.

The permit your business requires depends on the specific processes involved and resulting emissions.

Permits are available from the Environment Agency or your Local Authority (the regulator) depending on the category your business falls within:

  • Part A(1) installations or mobile plants are regulated by the Environment Agency
  • Part A(2) and Part B installations or mobile plants are regulated by the local authority, except waste operations carried out at Part B installations which are regulated by the Environment Agency
  • waste operations or waste mobile plant carried on other than at an installation, or by Part A or Part B mobile plants, are regulated by the Environment Agency
  • mining waste operations are regulated by the Environment Agency.
Eligibility Criteria

Applications must be made on the form provided by the regulator, or online, and must include specified information which will vary depending on the operation. A fee will be payable.

If further information is required, the applicant will be notified by the regulator and they must provide this information or the application will be deemed to be withdrawn.

The application must be from the operator of the regulated facility.

For waste operations, no licence will be granted unless any required planning permission has first been granted.

Regulation Summary

A summary of the regulation relating to this licence

Application Evaluation Process

The regulator will pay regard to the protection of the environment taken as a whole by preventing, or where that is not practicable reducing, emissions into the air, water and land. The regulator may inform the public of the application and must consider any representations. The application must be from the operator of the regulated facility and the regulator must be satisfied that they must operate the facility in accordance with the environmental permit.

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the Local Authority within a reasonable period, please contact us.

Apply online

The EU Services Directive took effect in late December 2009 with an aim to open up the European Internal Market to cross-border trade in services. There is a requirement for Local Authorities to make certain licensing processes available online.

An online portal, "EUGO", has been established so that service providers can source information with regards to doing business within Europe. In the UK, the portal is called UK Welcomes and is hosted by Gov.UK.

Link to EUGO

Apply for a Part B Environmental Permit
Apply for a Part A2 Environmental Permit
Tell us about a change to your existing Environmental Permit

Failed Application Redress

Please contact your Local Authority in the first instance.

An applicant who is refused an environmental permit may appeal to the appropriate authority. In England the appropriate authority is the Secretary of State. Appeals must be lodged no later than six months from the date of the decision.

Licence Holder Redress

Please contact your Local Authority in the first instance. If an application to vary, transfer or surrender an environmental permit has been refused, or if the applicant objects to conditions imposed on the environmental permit, they may appeal to the appropriate authority.

Appeals must be lodged in relation to a regulator initiated variation, a suspension notice or an enforcement notice, not later than two months from the date of the variation or notice and in any other case not later than six months from the date of the decision.

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Citizen's Advice will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other Redress

Compensation maybe payable in relation to conditions affecting certain interests in land.

Trade Associations

Federation of Environmental Trade Associations (FETA)
Environmental Industries Commission (EIC)
Environmental Services Associations (ESA)

Additional information and advice can be obtained by contacting us using the details below.

Public Registers

Public Registers are available to view on request. An appointment to view can be made between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday. Please contact us to arrange a suitable time.

Further information

Telephone: 01372 732000

page updated: Thursday, 25 August 2016 © Epsom & Ewell Borough Council 2016