Stylesheets are not available for this website in your specific browser


Contact us online
Tel: 01372 732000
 07950 080202

Epsom & Ewell Borough Council
Town Hall
The Parade
KT18 5BY


Follow us onand

An overpayment of Housing or Council Tax Benefit occurs when your eligibility to benefit decreases or ends.  This is usually due to changes in your circumstances, may include a new job, changes to your present job, changes in other benefits, or moving to a new property.

If you get an overpayment:
  • Any overpayment of Council Tax Benefit will be added to your current year Council Tax balance and will need to be repaid
  • The Local Authority will recover Housing Benefit overpayments.  This can be from ongoing Housing Benefit, a social security benefit like Income Support or by invoice
  • Failure to pay may lead to the Council obtaining a Court Order and/or passing the debt to a Collection Agent to recover the debt on our behalf.  Alternatively the council can apply to recover this debt directly from any wages or savings.

If you have received an overpayment notification from us and need more information, or cannot pay your invoice, please contact the Overpayment Officer on 01372 732271, Wednesday to Friday (9am to 3pm) to discuss a possible payment plan/arrangement.

Payments may be made in a number of ways:

  • In person at the Town Hall (10am - 2pm, Monday to Friday)
  • Online at the Overpayments web page
  • By telephone on 01372 732271 (9am - 3pm, Wednesday to Friday)
  • By standing order direct from your bank.

The easiest way to avoid an overpayment is to notify the Benefit Section of your change in circumstances immediately or where possible, before it happens. 

Notify us of your change of circumstance by downloading the form below.

  • Change of Circumstances Form (pdf - 199KB)
  • page updated: Saturday, 25 January 2014 © Epsom & Ewell Borough Council 2014