An overpayment of Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support occurs when your entitlement to these decreases or ends. This is usually due to changes in your circumstances, for example a new job or a change in your earnings, changes in other benefits or Tax Credits, or moving to a new property.
If you get an overpayment:
- Any overpayment of Council Tax Support will be added to your current Council Tax balance and will need to be repaid
- The Local Authority will recover Housing Benefit overpayments. This can be from ongoing Housing Benefit, a social security benefit like Income Support or by invoice.Alternatively the council can apply to recover this debt directly from any wages or savings
- Failure to pay may lead to the Council obtaining a Court Order and/or passing the debt to a Collection Agent to recover the debt on our behalf.
If you have received an overpayment notification from us and need more information, or cannot pay your invoice, please contact the Overpayment Officer on 01372 732271, Wednesday to Friday (9am to 4.30pm) to discuss a possible payment plan/arrangement.
Payments may be made in a number of ways:
- In person at the Town Hall (10am - 2pm, Monday to Friday)
- Online at the Overpayments web page
- By telephone on 01372 732271 (9am - 4.30pm, Wednesday to Friday)
- By standing order direct from your bank.
The easiest way to avoid an overpayment is to notify the Benefit Section of your change in circumstances immediately or where possible, before it happens.
Change of Circumstances Form (pdf - 199KB)
Notify us of your change of circumstance by downloading the form below.