What are Discretionary Housing Payments?
Discretionary Housing Payments are payments made in addition to Housing Benefit to help you with your housing costs. They are not payments of benefit.
Where Discretionary Housing Payments are made to help you with your rent, the total of your combined Housing Benefit plus your Discretionary Housing Payments must not exceed your rental liability.
We consider each case individually and on its own merit. Awards of Discretionary Housing Payments are made from a cash limited fund. Once the fund has been used for the year, no further payments are allowed. Awards are ordinarily made for specific periods, at the end of which a new application must be made if the need still exists.
The payment of Discretionary Housing Payments is subject to meeting all of the following criteria:
- You are already receiving some Housing Benefit and additional help to pay your rent is needed
- You are not receiving maximum benefit (ie, there is a shortfall between your benefit and your liability)
- The shortfall between your Housing Benefit and your rent is not due to ineligible services such as water and sewerage charges, fuel costs, meals, or to cover outstanding rent arrears
- You are experiencing difficulties which make your circumstances exceptional
- There is money available in the Discretionary Housing Payments cash limited fund.
In order to apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment, you must complete an application form which you can download and print off below.Discretionary Housing Payment Form (PDF - 104 KB)Discretionary Housing Payments (PDF - 1.1 MB)Discretionary Housing Payments Policy (PDF - 147 KB)
Return this form to:
The Benefits Section
Epsom & Ewell Borough Council
Your application will be considered on its individual merits. It will usually be necessary for the Benefit Section to arrange an interview with you to discuss the matter fully before a decision is made.
Telephone: 01372 732000