Stylesheets are not available for this website in your specific browser


Contact us online
Tel: 01372 732000
 07950 080202

Epsom & Ewell Borough Council
Town Hall
The Parade
KT18 5BY


Follow us onand
What is Backdated Benefit?

Normally, entitlement to Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support begins on the Monday after we receive your application form.At the time of claiming you can submit a request for your benefit to start from an earlier date.  This is backdated benefit.

In order to be granted an award you will have to show that there was 'good cause' for you not making your claim throughout the period in question.

While every case will be judged on its own merits, the following list gives examples of the types of reason which may be considered to show 'good cause.'

  • If you are suffering or were suffering from serious ill-health at the time (confirmation for this will be required from a doctor)
  • If you did not understand that you could claim because of age or language difficulties
  • If there had been a major change in the Benefit rules of which you could not have been aware
  • If you cannot manage your own affairs
  • If you have recently suffered a bereavement
  • If you were wrongly advised by another agency or official body.

There is a page on which to make a request for backdated benefit within our application forms. Alternatively, you can download and print the form below.

Backdate Request Form (pdf - 91KB)

Please return your completed form to:

The Benefits Section
Epsom & Ewell Borough Council
Town Hall
The Parade
KT18 5BY 

Further Information

Telephone: 01372 732000

page updated: Sunday, 02 October 2016 © Epsom & Ewell Borough Council 2016