Stylesheets are not available for this website in your specific browser


Contact us online
Tel: 01372 732000
 07950 080202

Epsom & Ewell Borough Council
Town Hall
The Parade
KT18 5BY


Follow us onand
Licence summary
A Personal Licence is required for individuals who may be engaged in making and authorising the sale or supply of alcohol. Not every person retailing alcohol at premises' licensed for that purpose will need a personal licence, but every sale or supply of alcohol must be at least authorised by such a licence holder. The only exception is for community premises in respect of which a successful application has been made to remove the usual mandatory conditions.

An applicant for a licence must apply to their local authority where they live. Only one application can be made at any one time. A licence will last for a period of 10 years unless it is surrendered or forfeited before the expiry date.

Eligibility Criteria
People must fit the following criteria to apply for a personal licence:
  • is aged 18 or over
  • holds a licensing qualification accredited by the Secretary of State (or which is certified as if it is such a qualification or is considered equivalent)
  • or is a person as prescribed by the Secretary of State by regulations
  • has not forfeited a personal licence within five years of their application
  • has not been convicted of any relevant or foreign offence. 'Relevant offence' refers to the offences listed in the Act that could, on conviction, rule out the grant or renewal of a personal licence to the applicant concerned.

To view the statutory list of relevant offences (pdf - 85kb).

Regulation Summary

A summary of the regulation relating to this licence

Application Evaluation Process

Applications must be sent to the Licensing Authority. Applications must be submitted on the prescribed form with the Disclosure of Convictions declaration and be accompanied by the following:

  • the prescribed fee
  • original copy of the criminal conviction certificate or criminal records bureau (CRB) certificate (please note that a criminal record conviction certificate must be under 1 month old upon the date that the application is received by the authority)
  • two passport sized photographs (the photo must meet the same specification as a passport, photocard driving licence or identity card).  One photo must be endorsed and signed by a professional person
  • an approved licensing qualification certificate.
Will Tacit Consent Apply?

No. It is in the public interest that the authority processes your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period, please contact the council.

Apply for a personal licence

If you wish to apply for a licence, you can do so by contacting the Licensing Authority.

Application Form (pdf - 125kb) 
Disclosure of Convictions and Declaration Form (pdf - 140kb)
Guidance Notes (pdf - 93.4kb)

Trade Associations

Criminal Recorded Bureau
Fees and Charges (pdf - 44kb)

Further Information

Telephone: 01372 732000

page updated: Wednesday, 11 June 2014 © Epsom & Ewell Borough Council 2015